Join Our List
KIND works to ensure that legislation in Congress addresses the needs of unaccompanied children and improves their protection.
KIND closely follows all legislation; in particular, KIND worked to ensure that the Senate Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill, S.744, includes important protections for unaccompanied children. The bill passed the Senate in June 2013; you can read about the unaccompanied children's provisions here. KIND urges the House of Representatives to pass H.R. 15, a comprehensive immigration reform bill introduced by Representative Joe Garcia on October 2, 2013, that is nearly identical to S. 744, but without the extremely punitive and expensive border provisions. Read more here.
KIND also worked to help pass the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) of 2013 (see pg 84 of PDF, 127 STAT. 136) introduced by Senators Leahy, Kerry, and Brown to ensure the further protection of unaccompanied children in the United States. The bill builds upon provisions of the TVPRA 2008, introduced by Sen. Leahy, which became law in December 2008, and significantly enhanced the protection of unaccompanied children in the United States.
KIND also worked to pass the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA), which also became law in early 2013.
KIND is also supporting other legislation, including:
- Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA)'s Protect Family Values at the Border Act (H.R. 3130), which establishes standards for the humane treatment of people detained at the border and ensures that families are not separated or endangered when they are deported, particulary children. Read more here.
- A bill introduced by Representative Roybal-Allard to help protect the safety and well-being of vulnerable children at the U.S. -Mexico border, and those returning to their home countries, the Child Trafficking Victims Protection Act, H.R. 2624. You can read more about the bill here.
- The Help Separated Families Act of 2013 (HELP), H.R. 2604, introduced by Representative Roybal-Allard, to help ensure that immigrant parents in immigration detention and their children remain in communication and that the basic rights of the parents are protected. Senator Al Franken's HELP bill passed the Senate as part of comprehensive immigration reform, S. 744 (see section 3801).
- The Foster Children Opportunity Act, H.R. 2036, introduced by Representative Beto O'Rourke (D-TX), that would help undocumented children in the child welfare system apply for all available forms of immigration relief.
- The Refugee Protection Act, S. 645, introduced by Senator Leahy in March 2013.